Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Heretic's Daughter

I was pretty disappointed by this one. My online book club talked about books related to the Salem Witch Trials. This one came highly recommended, so I immediately picked it up since I'd enjoyed The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane so much.


But I thought it was just ok. It and Deliverance Dane are very different books even though they cover the same historical event. Deliverance Dane has more mystery and the dual present day and historical plot lines. The Heretic's Daughter is more a narrative of what happened to one family caught up in the hysteria.

I guess that The Heretic's Daughter was kind of boring. The plot was slow to start. There were all kinds of events and details that seemed unnecessary. You know exactly how the book is going to end from the beginning. (I've read other books that have a predictable end, but you don't know how you are going to get there. In this book, both the ending and the how are totally obvious.)

I hate it when you think you are going to love a book and it falls so short. It looks like Kent has another book coming out this fall. I will not be reading it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review. I definitely know the feeling of being disappointed in a read you'd heard so many good things about. Thanks for still sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete