Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Big Year

A big year is a competition in which birdwatchers try to see as many different birds as possible.

I don't know anything about birdwatching, but this book was still really interesting. It almost made me want to head out with some binoculars. But then, I realized I'd just rather read.

The 1998 competition was between three very different men. As the book unfolds, you start cheering for them, some more than others. They traveled around the United States (all but Hawaii) and Canada to find the 645 native species and the rare birds that show up because they got lost on their migration or swept up by a storm.

I read it for the unpronounceable author's name category for the book challenge. It was a good quick read. Plus, I learned about birds. If you like birdwatching, you'll like it. And, even if you're like me and know nothing about birdwatching, it's still worth the read.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds interesting. My area of Houston has a lot of birds only in this area and people come from all over to see. Now I am going to have to read it to see if it's mentioned.

    ReplyDelete