Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Secret Adversary

Since I have so many paper books to read, I am trying to hold off on buying books for my Kindle. There are hundreds of free pre-1923 books available. (These books' copyrights have expired.)

Agatha Christie's first two novels are pre-1923. I consider myself an Agatha Christie fan and hadn't read The Secret Adversary, so what a deal. The Secret Adversary is the first Tommy and Tuppence book. Christie wrote several Tommy and Tuppence books, but there aren't near as many as Poirot or Miss Marple stories.

I'm glad it wasn't the first Agatha Christie I'd read. I don't know that it was good enough to make me keep reading her novels if it had been the first. Give me a Poirot book instead!

6 comments:

  1. I would be very surprised if Chorion has allowed the copyright on this to lapse. In fact I can see it at $5.99 on Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Adversary-ebook/dp/B002RKSVG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1280013856&sr=1-1

    The Mysterious Affair at Styles is also in the public domain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it's different between the US and Australia?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I originally got The Mysterious Affair at Styles free but that is now also showing as having a price. That link to the Secret Adversary says "not available for your country"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never read an Agatha Christy book but have always wanted to. What would you recommend I try?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is Christie's only book on the 1001 books list.

    I like the ones with Poirot (detective) the best.

    Two that are some of her most familiar works: And Then There Were None and Murder on the Orient Express. Both are really good.

    Death on the Nile and A Caribbean Mystery are also good. Really though, it's hard to go wrong with her.

    ReplyDelete