Friday, July 30, 2010

Veil of Roses

Veil of Roses is an interesting book. It is the story of an Iranian woman who visits her sister in the US with the intention of finding an Iranian man to marry so she doesn't have to return to Iran.

It's a weird (and for me, successful) mix of serious gender issues, life in Iran, immigration to the US, a friendship story, and chick lit. I know, weird. The portrayal of life in Iran fit with other books I've read: Persepolis, Funny in Farsi, and Girls of Riyadh (which I know is in Saudi Arabia, not Iran.) The fish out of water bits were funny and the love story really cute.

Be prepared for the odd mix of silly love story and serious issues relating to Iran. But, definitely pick it up!

1 comment:

  1. I read this book last July, and really enjoyed it as well. My family actually passed it around on a road trip, and we all read it. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete