Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Frozen Thames



I just adored this book.

The Frozen Thames is a collection of short stories set during each freezing of the Thames from 1142 until 1895. (The Thames probably won't freeze again because of the structure of the current bridge.)

I'd been waiting for this book for ages on paperback swap. When you wait for a book for a long time, it can be a disappointment if it doesn't live up to what you'd hoped. Luckily, The Frozen Thames was even better than I was expecting.

I'm not a big fan of short stories, but thought this sounded interesting as it was historical fiction related to an event that occurred 44 times.

The book itself is gorgeous. It's small. The pages are glossy and have full color illustrations. The pictures are works of art of the Thames from times when it froze. My picture below is terrible, but hopefully you can get the idea.


A review on the back of the book calls it "sparse but satisfying." I'd say it's sparse, but oh so satisfying. Everything about this book is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment