Saturday, June 26, 2010

Persepolis

Last year I picked up a graphic novel for the first time. I actually picked it up on accident. Evan and I were in DC at the Air and Space Museum. We popped into the gift shop as it was closing. I saw Laika by Nick Abadzis and grabbed it. I didn't pick it up to look at it for a few months and when I did, I thought, "Ooops." But since I already owned it, I figured I'd try it out. Little did I expect, I really enjoyed it.

Since then I've read several graphic novels. Maus by Art Spiegelman came highly recommended. I thought it was wonderful.

Another book that was also suggested was Persepolis. It's the author's memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution, the Iran/Iraq War, and the years following those events. It's the story of an independent intelligent young woman trying to be herself both in the process of growing up and in the middle of an Iran that is politically and socially limiting. To me, it was also the story of her relationship with her wonderful parents. I loved them.

The book's setting of Iran during this time period was so interesting. The politics aren't described in great detail, but social issues certainly are. The stringent guidelines that were placed on society weren't surprising since I knew some about Iran, but still very intriguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment