Sunday, June 6, 2010

Last Night at the Lobster


I saw this book at a bookstore one day and was attracted to the cover. I didn't buy it, but when I was browsing the audio book section of my library I picked it up.

The audio version is only about four hours long, which is the perfect length for me. I get bored with audio books that are really long. I apparently need instant gratification, so a book that I can listen to in just a few hours fits the bill.

As you might guess from the book's title, it is about the last night that a Red Lobster is open. Corporate has decided to close the restaurant and Manny, the manager, is trying to hold everything, both personal and professional, together.

O'Nan's portrayal of the characters was outstanding. I really connected with them, even though the book was short. In many cases, characters in books seem either good or bad. The characters in this book were real. It was a wonderful slice of life of average people just trying to get through the day.

1 comment:

  1. Short audio books are hard to find. I'll have to get this one from the library.

    ReplyDelete