Friday, July 9, 2010

The Bobbsey Twins

In addition to Nancy Drew, I really enjoyed another children's mystery series: The Bobbsey Twins. I didn't have as many Bobbsey Twins books growing up as I did Nancy Drew, but I still had many. The Bobbsey Twin series was created and published by the same people that sold Nancy Drew books. The Bobbsey Twins first came out in 1904, more than 25 years before Nancy.

The Bobbsey twins are two sets of twins: Nan and Bert who are 12 and Flossie and Freddie who are 6. I love the name "Nan." I might have had a crush on Bert. They live in the rather generic sounding town of Lakeport, and as expected, find mysteries where ever they go.

As the characters are young, so too is the target audience. The book indicates the suggested reading level is second grade. The Secret of Jungle Park is in the new series and is 87 pages of big print with several drawings throughout.

The story was a bit unrealistic; what parents are going to let their 12 and 6 year olds run around at an amusement park by themsleves? I've got to learn to suspend my disbelief when I'm reading these children's books.

All in all, it was a fun reread of a book that I'm sure I read when I was little. I've also got some of the old Bobbsey Twin books. I'll have to pick one of those up to see how they are.

Check out Lovely Little Shelf for more Friday Flashbacks.

2 comments:

  1. So sad to see the Boppsey Twins forgotten. Wish it could come back but kids now would think it to be "cheesy" Our society is ruining everything

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see an article on the Bobbsey Twins! I LOVED this series as a kid-especially series 2 and 3 (The classic series consists of episodic adventures and lasted from 1904 to 1979 with a total of 72 books) But in 1980, Wanderer made a Bobbsey Twins series consisting of mysteries (they even called it "A Pre-Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew book")! This is when I really began to become interested. And in the late '80s, a third series called "The New Bobbsey Twins" started (that is where the photo you have is from). I enjoyed this immensely-especially the first 17 (of 30) books in the series. I created a website about 10 years ago reviewing these books, (along with the McGurk mysteries by E W Hildick), but since I never really had any views, I got discouraged and stopped

    ReplyDelete