Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Finding George Orwell in Burma

I love Orwell and I love travelogues.

Perfect!

Emma Larkin is the pen name for a journalist who has spent time in Burma (Myanmar.) In Burma, there's a saying that Orwell's books are all about Burma: Burmese Days about Burma's colonial days, 1984 about a totalitarian government, and Animal Farm.

Burma is a fascinating place. The military rule is straight out of one of Orwell's books as are the last vestiges of colonial days.

If you are a fan of Orwell, I think you'd really enjoy this book. Even if you aren't, while modern Burma isn't a place you hear about very often, it's worth learning about. It's also a love story about books. It reminded me a bit of Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress. Books in Burma aren't readily available, so copies are treasured.

I added a new tag for books: glad I live here and now. Finding George Orwell in Burma definitely reminded me how lucky we are to live where we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment