Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Summer at Tiffany

Summer at Tiffany was a quaint memoir of a young woman and her best friend spending the summer of 1945 working in New York City. They lucked out and were the first women on the sales floor of Tiffany. The girls were sorority sisters at the University of Iowa. Their story was light and interesting, and I read it in a couple hours.

I loved how the girls were so adventurous to travel and live in NYC, especially considering it was in 1945. It made me wish that I took more opportunities like that in college. But then, I realized I did! I spent the summer of 2001 in Washington, DC in the last days before 9/11. (It was so different when we went last year.) I also spent a semester in Wyoming, which ended up being a pretty important event in my life as I moved here permanently. And I'm really glad I took those opportunities.

Nothing earth-shattering, but a cute happy memoir. It was a good reminder that we can and should go places and do things instead of staying in our comfortable box. And just because college is over doesn't mean those opportunities are gone. One of my husband's friends works for a big company where you can work overseas for a couple years while they pay for your home here. What a great experience that would be!

No comments:

Post a Comment