Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Where I Belong

Where I Belong is the debut novel for author Gwendolyn Heasley. I've seen several blurbs about it on other book blogs over the last few months and thought it would be something I'd enjoy.

I adore sweet chick-lity YA books. I love happy endings and the nervousness associated with first love. I also was interested in this book because of the its small town setting.

I thought Where I Belong was cute. The romance part of the story was somewhat weak. However, Corrinne's relationships with Waverly, her NYC best friend, and Kitsy, her new friend in Broken Spoke, were much more in depth and a stronger part of the book. Those parts alone were worth reading the book. Corrinne's relationship with her family changes as she matures.

I thought the book ended too quickly. I would have liked to have a bit more conclusion. It's definitely a book that is set up for a sequel. I really hate it when books are written this way. If you are leaving the reader hanging at the end, you should keep writing -- the story isn't over. It feels gimicky and like they are only doing it so you buy another book.

Despite not loving the book as I hoped I would, I still enjoyed it. It is similar to, though not quite as good as Sarah Dessen's books as well as Anna and the French Kiss. I'll enjoy seeing what Heasley does next.

Also, I adore this cover.

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't sure which book this was when you posted on NBC, but after seeing the cover, I remember how much I wanted to read this! I might have to buy it for my nook so I can read it now.

    ReplyDelete